So your child is interested in taking dance classes. You may have searched our website and noticed there are a lot of classes from which to choose. If you are new to dance, it may seem a bit overwhelming. We are here to help you choose the best dance classes for your child. At Center Stage in Leander, we have classes for students age 2.5 years and up. We offer classes in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Musical Theater, and Tumble/Pom. With all these choices to consider, here are a few tips on how to select the best classes for your child.
Tips for Selecting Dance Classes:
- Age – Our 2.5-3 year olds and 4-5 year olds will start with Ballet/Tap/Jazz combination classes. These classes teach beginning dance skills as well as explore creative movement. At Center Stage, we believe dance should be a fun and rewarding experience, and we want our young ones to love coming to dance class each week. At age 5 and up, we have more specialized classes with just one genre per class. Many of our older students take multiple classes to gain a comprehensive dance education.
- Ability – We have leveled classes in Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Lyrical/Contemporary, and Pointe. Level II and beyond require prerequisites. This allows the dance instructors to provide more challenging material to our more advanced dancers.
- Interest – It is important to talk to your child about what type of dance interests her. If she likes graceful, flowing movement, she might like Lyrical/Contemporary or Ballet. If she likes faster music and more dynamic movement, she might like Jazz or Hip Hop. Does she like to sing songs and dance along? Then Musical Theater might be a good fit.
- Goals – What are your child’s dance goals? For our older students, many want to make their high school dance team. For these students, we recommend Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, and Dance/Drill Technique. Some of our younger ballerinas admire our girls who are dancing on pointe. For these students, we encourage them to continue to take Ballet to build up the strength and technique required for Pointe.
- Schedule – Some students would live at the dance studio if they could! They want to take every class they can. In our busy lives, that isn’t always feasible. It is important to consider what works for your family. At Center Stage, it is our goal to create a family environment, and we know you all are busy. Finding class times that work well for your family’s schedule helps create a positive experience for you throughout the dance year.
These are just a few tips to consider when selecting a dance class for your child. We are happy to help you find the perfect class or classes. You can give us a call at 512-259-0445
Voted Best Dance Studio in Cedar Park/Leander
Providing quality dance classes to the Leander/Cedar Park/Liberty Hill area since 2004