Starting dance classes is an exciting time for both you and your child. It can also be a time of transition for some of our youngest dancers. Our dance classes at Center Stage in Leander start at age 2.5 years old. Some students are ready to start dance classes on their own at this age, and some may need a little longer. Our dance classes for 2.5-3 years and 4-5 years are combination classes with Ballet, Tap, and Jazz. Students go into the dance studio room and participate in the dance class on their own. Parents may observe from the lobby viewing window. To help ease your little dancer into dance classes on her own and ensure a positive experience, here are a few tips:
- Purchase all dance shoes and leotards before the first class. Sizing shoes and fitting leotards just minutes before class starts may cause a bit of stress. Being prepared for class makes the first day of dance class much smoother.
- Talk to your little dancer about what to expect. Explain that all of the “big girl dancers” go into the dance studio room with their dance teacher while all of the mommies and daddies watch from the lobby.
- Take your child to the restroom before dance class starts so she doesn’t miss any class time for potty breaks.
- Make sure your child is rested before her dance class begins. We offer several class times (morning, evening, and Saturday dance classes) to hopefully allow you a time that works with your child’s nap time, etc.
- Visit the dance studio prior to your child’s first dance class if possible. At Center Stage, we have several open house times where you can stop by to tour the studio and purchase dance shoes and leotards. We like to show our younger dancers where they will be dancing and where the mommies and daddies wait. This helps them become acquainted with the dance studio.
We want our young dancers to have a positive experience when they come to dance class for the first time. Some students may take a couple of weeks to adjust to the new class and new place, while some students may not be quite ready to go into the dance studio on their own. For those students, we suggest waiting a couple of months and trying out dance classes again. Most importantly, we want our dancers to have fun dancing! We can’t wait to see all of our young dancers soon. Classes begin Sept. 6th.
Open House Times:
Aug. 26, Aug. 31, Sept. 1 – 5-7PM